I've been following this particular thread, wondering if someone was going to mention what Lisa has.  Before we decry "lumping" DE and learning assistance, I think we need to be very clear about what kinds of learning assistance we're talking about.

In my particular case, I'm glad that the university where I am coordinator of developmental studies has two tutoring labs specifically for those courses; that gives us a chance to concentrate on items and issues that more mainstream tutoring labs might miss.  The university also provides other tutoring labs (a Writing Center, a math lab, etc.) for students in credit-bearing courses.

So in some cases, "lumping" is not such a bad thing IF those learning centers are designated for students in DE classes because they have definite interests in common.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa D'Adamo-Weinstein
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Doctoral Programs in Learning/Academic Support

I have to strongly agree with Diana.  The automatic lumping together of DE and Learning Assistance has bothered me for years.  In fact, at two institutions where I worked in the past, we did not have DE programs linked to any kind of learning assistance programs.  The DE programs were either a separate department and some of their students made it my way or there simply was not any DE available at all.  While DE and LA have strong linkages, they are not the same fields.

My doctorate is from Indiana University- Bloomington in Language Education (now the Department of Literacy, Culture, and Language Education).  The name of the department was problematic because everyone assumes that I studied languages/teaching languages.  I didn't focus on language learning/teaching (although I did get TESOL certification). I was able to make my degree work for me so that I took higher ed admin classes, adult learning and development, and other course work that allowed me to focus my doctoral research on first-generation minority women's narratives about their college experiences and developed a framework for success in their college careers.

My point, there are many doctoral programs out there that can be adapted to fit your needs, but like Diana, let's not always get DE and LA lumped together. There are many places like IU ( http://education.indiana.edu/Default.aspx?alias=education.indiana.edu/langed
) and National Louis (http://nlu.nl.edu/graduate/doctoral.cfm) that allow for a learning assistance focus.  I would check out the programs and universities that supported the learning assistance focused dissertations listed on the LSCHE: Dissertations & Theses page (
http://www.crla.net/lsche/resources/dissertation.htm) as a source for possible programs.

Lisa
Lisa D'Adamo-Weinstein, Ph.D.
Director of Academic Support
SUNY Empire State College - Northeast Center
21 British American Boulevard
Latham, NY 12110
tel. (518) 783-6203 Ext. 5939
fax. (518) 783-6443