Hi Leonard,
I direct a quantitative skills center. The Freshman candidate has to be
exceptional to be hired on, given the limited amount of courses they can
tutor. All applicants need to submit the contact information of a
quantitative skills reference and a job skills reference (although more
weight is placed on the quantitative reference, and I will sometimes hire
students who have never held a job before). The quantitative reference is
almost always a faculty member.
All applicants go through a mock tutoring session as part of their interview,
and I ask a lot of in depth questions to check their content knowledge. Thus,
regardless of whether or not they've taken classes here, they must have a
deep understanding of the material.
I don't know about others, but I've had faculty recommend students who did
well in their class, but it sometimes turns out that either the student
memorized formulas instead of fully understanding the concepts, or they're
brilliant, but have a difficult time communicating the material to others.
One advantage to the exceptional Freshman is that they're an investment since
they usually stay with the center their entire college career. Of course,
this requires balance with higher-level tutors who can cover the higher-level
classes.
Best,
Erin

Erin Hill, Ph.D.