I agree with Maggie that there is limitless support for us out there. I am
reading "Mindset" right now. And Saundra McGuire from LSU has a wealth of
information about metacognition.  We talk about her "Study Cycle" in most
every program we do here at Clemson.(Check out the LSU website.  In fact,
there are many resources to be found on learning center websites.)

I will put in a plug here for NCLCA - I got involved because I wanted to
know more about administration of a learning center, as well as the actual
programming.  And the rest of the story is that I am the current
president!  I always learn so much at the national conference each year
(that is coming up at the end of September in Indianapolis.) I attended
the NCLCA Institute in Illinois last month - originally to get an idea of
what I will need to do to plan for the 2012 institute - my role as the
Immediate Past President.  But I got so much more out of it.  The mentors
for this year were Jim Valkenburg, Saundra McGuire and Lucy McDonald-
interacting with these 3 experts in our field over a 3 day period was
invaluable - as was working with 25 other learning center personnel from
around the country.  It was awesome and I highly encourage you all to
consider attending the 2012 institute.  (NOTE:  If you have suggestions
for mentors for 2012, please send them to me :~)

When I became the ASC director at Clemson, I also got involved with the
national and regional (Southeastern) CRLA, the International SI program
(UMKC) and ATP.  All of these organizations have been extremely valuable
to me in my professional development in this field.
Elaine

M. Elaine Richardson, PhD
Director, Academic Success Center
President, National College Learning Center Association
Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634
(864) 656-6212