From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Diana Bell
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 4:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Doctoral Programs in Learning/Academic Support

Hi all,
I find it interesting that the question about doctoral programs in learning assistance garnered feedback from development education programs, as though those two disciplines were the same.  Learning assistance is very different than Developmental Education--DE is *part *of what learning assistant professionals do, but only a part. I think it is problematic to collapse the two, for us, our administration, and, most importantly, for the students.
AND, I would love to find a specialization in learning assistance. If that were the case, I might even go back for another doctoral degree!
Best,
Diana

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Hambrick, Doriss <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> Oh, my goodness, Michelle. It's Texas State University - San Marcos -
> NOT The University of Texas-San Marcos. We get really touchy about
> that  ;~)
>
> Doriss Hambrick
> Baylor University
> Paul L. Foster Success Center
> Sid Richardson Building, Office #036
> Academic Support Programs
> One Bear Place #97072
> 254-710-3828 (office)
> 254-710-3670 (fax)
>  The Academically Successful Bear
> Office Hours MON - 1:30pm - 4:30pm / TUE - 1:30pm - 3:00pm / WED -
> 1:30pm - 4:30pm / THU - 1:30pm - 3:00pm / FRI - 8:30am - 10:00am

Dr. Diana Calhoun Bell
Executive Director, Student Success Center Editor, Journal of College Reading and Learning
227 Madison Hall
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Huntsville, Alabama 35899
256-824-3142