Eric and others--Oh No--please don't feel as if I'm marginalizing DE--quite
the contrary; it is a significant and important field of study. AND, the
programs I've looked at do address important learning center issues such as
learning styles, multiple intelligences, etc. I just wanted to emphasize
that DE is only part of learning center pedagogy and that instead of
enrolling in a program that a student would have to "make fit," it would be
nice to have a program that specifically addresses all of the issues in
learning center pedagogy and administration.

As for learning center theory--like writing center theory, I would expect
that practitioners use theories of pedagogy. I use, for example, Lev
Vygotski (zone of proximal development, sociocultural education,
scaffolding, cognitive development); Bell Hooks (critical pedagogy,
feminism, marginalization); Paulo Freire (critical pedagogy, informal
education, banking model of education); Mina Shaughnessy (critical pedagogy,
student-centered learning), Mike Rose (critical pedagogy, cognition,
student-centered learning);  and Mihaly Czikzentmihaly (Flow theory,
creativity, psychology of discovery and invention) just to name a few.

Have a great day everyone!
Diana

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Mayfield, Linda <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I completely agree with Eric and Pat, and have long been a practitioner of
> the NADE definition Eric quoted. Mine is not an open-enrollment school and
> our applicants are required to meet academic criteria in several areas
> before being accepted, but many still benefit from the continuum approach. A
> doctorate in a related field in which one can focus one's research on the
> area of greatest interest--DE, learning support, academic support services,
> ADA, assessment, etc.--is excellent support and experience for continuing
> work in the field of specialization, regardless of the name of the degree. I
> think finding a degree program with the most opportunities to do that is
> more valuable than finding a program with a specific title.
> Linda
>
> Linda Riggs Mayfield, Ed.D., Associate Faculty
> Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing
> Broadway @ 11th Street, Box 7005
> Quincy, IL  62305-7005
> 217-228-5520 x 6997

Dr. Diana Calhoun Bell
Executive Director, Student Success Center
Editor, Journal of College Reading and Learning
227 Madison Hall
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Huntsville, Alabama 35899
256-824-3142