Thought I would pass this along.  One of our Psychology faculty sent them to us.

Pat

Patricia A. Maher, Ph. D.
Director, Tutoring and Learning Services
University of South Florida
4202 E. Fowler Ave.
Tampa, FL  33620
LIB 206
(813)974-5141
 [cid:[log in to unmask]]

Hi all,
I'm happy to share with you a series of videos I created on how to study effectively in college. The videos grew out of a presentation I give each fall to incoming freshmen. Although the presentation had a strong immediate impact, the effects weakened over time as students forgot. I realized that I needed to create a set of videos students could access when they needed them. Below is the result. I hope you all will find it useful in your teaching. These are publicly available so please feel free to share with anyone who might be interested. I also welcome feedback on them.

Best regards,
Stephen

Video Guide: How to Study Long and Hard and Still Fail...or How to Get the Most Out of Studying

The overall theme of the videos is if students use ineffective or inefficient ways of studying, they can study long and hard and still fail; but if they use effective strategies, they will get the most learning out of your study time and be more likely to succeed.

Video 1: Beliefs That Make You Fail...Or Succeed

The first video examines common mistaken beliefs students often possess that undermine their learning. The video tries to correct those misconceptions with accurate beliefs about learning.

Video 1:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH95h36NChI

Video 2: What Students Should Understand About How People Learn

The second video introduces a simple but powerful theory of memory, Levels of Processing, that can help students improve their study.

Video 2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O7y7XEC66M

Video 3: Cognitive Principles for Optimizing Learning

The third video operationalizes the concept of level of processing into four principles that students can use to develop effective study strategies.

Video 3:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xeHh5DnCIw

Video 4: Putting the Principles for Optimizing Learning into Practice

The fourth video applies the principles of deep processing to common study situations, including note taking and highlighting while reading.

Video 4:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9GrOxhYZdQ

Video 5: I Blew the Exam, Now What?

This video addresses students should and should not do when they earn a bad grade on an exam.

Video 5:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QVRiMkdRsU

A description of the presentation to freshmen upon which videos 1-4 is based can be found here: http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2010/april-10/improving-classroom-performance-by-challenging-student-misconceptions-about-learning.html

Stephen L. Chew, PhD
Professor & Chair, Dept. of Psychology
Samford University
Birmingham, AL  35229-2308
(V) 205-726-2562  (Fax) 205-726-2895

PsychTeacher is a moderated discussion list for teachers of psychology

owned by the Society for the Teaching of Psychology and hosted by

Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw GA

All messages for the list should be emailed to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

You can manage your subscription and search the PsychTeacher archives at

http://list.kennesaw.edu/listserv/wa?A0=PSYCHTEACHER

LIST OPERATOR: Ted Bosack <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

LIST MODERATORS: Rick Froman, Ted Bosack,

Bryan Saville, and Tracy Zinn