Shevawn:

Like you, we are entirely a peer-tutor organization. We do employ a few
graduate students, but usually they were tutors as undergraduates and
have stayed on as they continued on to grad school. Most of them aren't
really even tutoring in their majors. (For example, I've had a law
student and now have an MSW student working as statistics tutors.)

Our department does serve a small number of "majors" courses. They
represent a fraction of the tutoring we do, and they are selected and
trained the same as any other tutors-i.e. by grade in course, overall
GPA, accumulated credit hours, and (sometimes) recommendations.

I mostly chose to respond, though, to give a small warning: make sure
your faculty are on-board! I have been informed (and have no reason to
doubt) that a small minority of faculty here will punish upper-division
students for attending tutoring sessions. Their belief is that at this
point in a student's career, s/he should be able to go it alone.

Jered Wasburn-Moses

Math Center Coordinator

Learning Assistance Programs

Northern Kentucky University