Dear Julianne,
I posted a request earlier this summer for information and thoughts
regarding online or distance learning support and was reminded that there is
a Special Interest Group for Technology and Distance Learning that includes
online tutoring. Here is the website for that information:
http://www.crla.net/sig/tech/index.htm. I believe they will be meeting at
the upcoming CRLA conference in early November.

Also, Lucy MacDonald responded with the following to provide me with
information about TIDE (Technology Institute for Developmental Educators):

"At TIDE we help you jump start your projects with mentor support and lab
time to explore with all the technology help that you need. So you can craft
your own path. Because of the technology support, we have the opportunity to
explore options with other faculty and Learning Centers in our field and to
develop "sandboxes" to play in.  I don't see this happening at other
conferences and find it especially difficult to do at a hotel without the
tech support needed. or amount of time needed to explore."

I was not able to attend this summer, but it sounds like a resource quite
worth exploring for next year.

Best--
--Leslie Foley

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Messia, Julianne <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> All,
> I've recently been tasked with coming up with new initiatives for improving
> our campus' academic support by using "technology-based learning support
> services."  I am fairly certain this doesn't mean having outside tutors work
> with our students online, but it could potentially mean having our own
> internal tutors work online for our students.  It could also mean a variety
> of other things - like online workshops, instant messaging, learning
> analytics, etc.  I'm sure I'm not even scratching the surface.  Does anyone
> have any creative insight into how I would go about addressing this?  Do you
> have any software that has helped you grow your assistance program to
> include an online presence?  As always I appreciate your help!
>
> Julianne
> Julianne Messia, M.S.
> Director of Academic Learning Services
> Division of Innovating Learning and Academic Support Services
> Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
> 106 New Scotland Avenue
> Albany, NY 12208
> Office: Library Building 303 B *New Location*
> Phone: 518.694.7147
> browser to

Leslie Foley
Director of Academic Assistance