Marcy,
Texas State University-San Marcos has a (new!) PhD and EdD in Developmental Education.  We have three concentrations within both the EdD and PhD: Developmental Literacy, Developmental Mathematics, and Learning Support.  If you want to forward your friend our website, it has a lot of information about the program as well as contact info: http://www.education.txstate.edu/ci/dev-ed-doc/
Thanks,
Eric Paulson