In anticipation of finding some pelagics birds blown in by the
hurricane, I took Thursday afternoon off to watch the Inlet for
storm-driven waifs. The Inlet had only Black and Common Terns, in
addition to the regular birds. I decided to head down to Canaveral
National Seashore to continue the search. Despite the fact that winds
were ripping out of the northeast at 30 knots, I did not find a single
pelagic bird. The Royal, Sandwich, Common and Black Terns were feeding
and flying without trouble. Even the Brown Pelicans were continuing to
feed. Finally at 5:10 p.m. a juvenile, intermediate morph, Long-tailed
Jaeger raced by just beyond the closest breakers. Finally a great bird,
but I was very surprised that there were no tropical terns, shearwaters
or storm-petrels blown in. The conditions seemed perfect, but after a
whole afternoon of searchng none turned up.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet, FL