To follow up on yesterday's post regarding possible avian predators taking out Pileated Woodpeckers at Bayard Conservation Area, another  possibility is the Bald Eagle. There is a good population of them along the St Johns River in Clay County. In fact we often hear and see BAEA in the very area in question, which is about 300-400 meters from the river. There was an active nest close by which fell a couple of years ago.

We do not see many coots, a favorite food of the Eagle, in the river any more, at least on this side. M ullet, another favorite food,  are plentiful.

We have seen more BAEA activity this summer so perhaps as not many drifted north as did in the past. Also, I wonder if the drifters are back earlier this yr. The usual return date had been mid September but we have seen more birds for about the last month.

Good fall birding to all,

Lenore McCullagh

Orange Park

Clay County