Dear Birders,
    On my way to look for a reported Brown Booby on the beach neat the Crab Trap in Ft. Walton Beach, I stopped by Emerald Coast Wildlife Rescue.  They had just recovered a Black-capped Petrel from the beach near Pompano Joe's Restaurant in Walton County (2237 Scenic Gulf Highway (Old US 98), 30 22.689 N, 86 23.117 W.  That is about one mile west of the intersection with the new US 98 in Walton County. The petrel was reported by Tami Tilkin.  The reported Brown Booby was no longer there.
    The bird weighed only 300 grams, and had a wide white V on the rump above a black tail bar, not a Greater Shearwater that Sibley says weighs 840 grams.  Photos and measurements will be taken and sent to Duncan and Pranty after it recovers.
    This is a first Walton County record, apparently weakened and blown in by tropical Storm Irene that just subsided yesterday.  Other birders may want to search the Gulf beaches today for other weakened pelagic species.
    Don Ware