Hey everyone,
I did a little Polk County birding today with Ben Thacker and Brent Nelson.  We arrived at Saddle Creek Park in Lakeland at about 7 AM.  The mosquitos were a force to be reckoned with; they were fine in the more open areas, but as soon as you entered the hammock on the nature trail, they were all over you.  It reminded me of Flamingo at night, or a little like Snake Bight.  Anyway, after being chased out a couple of times, at 9:30 we tried our last time to get all the way down to the end of the hammock trail, but without success.  We were swatting too many mosquitos to really enjoy the birding, so we gave up!  We decided a more open area would be more enjoyable, plus Ben and Brent had never been to Circle B.  We arrived there around 10:15 and left at about 12:30.  The list from the whole day is below:
Black-Bellied Whistling-Duck;Muscovy Duck;Pied-Billed Grebe;Wood Stork (all Circle B);Double-Crested Cormorant;Anhinga;Great Blue Heron;Great Egret;Snowy Egret;Little Blue Heron;Tricolored Heron;Cattle Egret;Green Heron;Black-Crowned Night-Heron;White Ibis;Glossy Ibis;Black Vulture;Turkey Vulture;Osprey;Bald Eagle (1 juvenile at Circle B);Cooper's Hawk;Red-Shouldered Hawk;Purple Gallinule (1 immature bird at Circle B);Common Gallinule (I'm sorry, but I hate this bird's new name.  What's wrong with American Moorhen??  Moorhen just rolls off the tongue better!);American Coot (5, Circle B);Limpkin (1 at Saddle Creek; 5-6 at Circle B);Sandhill Crane;Killdeer;Rock Pigeon;Eurasian Collared-Dove;Mourning Dove;Common Ground-Dove;Yellow-Billed Cuckoo (1 along the Marsh Rabbit Run, Circle B);Common Nighthawk;Chimney Swift;Belted Kingfisher (3, Saddle Creek);Red-Bellied Woodpecker;Downy Woodpecker;Northern Flicker (1, heard only at Saddle Creek);Pileated Woodpecker;Great Crested Flycatcher;White-Eyed Vireo;Red-Eyed Vireo (2-3, Saddle Creek);Blue Jay;Fish Crow;Tufted Titmouse;Carolina Wren;Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher;Northern Mockingbird;European Starling;Louisiana Waterthrush (1, Saddle Creek);Waterthrush sp. (3-4 others heard at Saddle Creek);American Redstart (1 female, Saddle Creek);Northern Parula (several at both places);Yellow Warbler (1, Saddle Creek);Yellow-Throated Warbler (2, Circle B);Prairie Warbler (1, Circle B);Northern Cardinal;Red-Winged Blackbird;Common Grackle;Boat-Tailed Grackle
Again, Saddle Creek Park and Circle B Bar Reserve are located in E and SE Lakeland, respectively, Polk County.
Good birding,
John ThomtonOrlando, Orange Co.