Hey everyone,
Happy fall!  Can you feel the chill in the air?!?! ;)
I birded Leu Gardens for a few hours this morning.  It was pretty good, so I also headed to Mead in the afternoon.  My wife and I are rushing out the door to get to dinner with friends, so I'll post the list later tonight.
However, I did want to ask about a vireo that I saw on Wed afternoon and this morning at Leu.  Has anyone out there ever seen a Blue-Headed Vireo with yellow on the part of the spectacles in front of the eye?
The bird that I posted about on Wed as my FOF Blue-Headed Vireo was initially very confusing to me.  I actually wondered at first if I had a Thick-Billed Vireo.  I've never seen a Thick-Billed, but after consulting field guides and photos online, I'm pretty sure this guy was just a strange Blue-Headed.  It had a solid white eyering (not broken like a Thick-Billed), a dark eye (unlike White-Eyed), and a whitish breast and belly, with a little light greenish color on the flanks (unlike a Thick-Billed which apparently is fairly solid olive-yellowish below).  The wings were darker than the rest of the upperparts, with two obvious wingbars.  The head was slightly grayer than the light greenish back.  The thing that caught me off guard was the line that connected both of the eyerings, running over the bill on the front of the face, was bright yellow instead of white.
I know, I'm sorry I'm not a photographer and I don't have an awesome camera to document such birds.  But, the bird has been there for three days at least now.  If you want to check it out for yourself, it's in the large oak trees on the other side of the restrooms from the butterfly garden.  Check along all of these trees along this sidewalk.
And like I said, I don't expect it to be anything particularly rare.  I just wanted to see if anyone has ever seen a "Yellow-Fronted" Blue-Headed Vireo. :)
Thanks and good birding!
John ThomtonOrlando, Orange Co.