ANNOUNCEMENT

Date:   October 26, 2011

To:     All UF Graduate Students, Coordinators and Staff

From:   The UF English Language Institute

RE:     Fall B 2011 Scholarly Writing Course Starts November 1

The Fall B 2011 session of Scholarly Writing is due to start Tuesday, November 1.

Scholarly Writing is designed to help graduate students improve their academic writing skills. This is accomplished with lessons in cohesion, coherence, concision and shape. Through these lessons, students learn to distinguish and move between everyday English and academic English. We examine common pitfalls in academic writing including excessive metadiscourse and wordiness. Additionally, we take side trips into supporting genres of academic writing like the biostatement, e-mail correspondence, paraphrasing, and presentation skills.

Depending on the needs of the students, we study certain grammar issues common to international students, like passive voice and indicative vs. informative reporting verbs. A typical day's lesson consists of lecture and practice, followed by a homework exercise.

Individual help with writing assignments students are currently working on, including theses, dissertations, journal articles, and curricula vitae, is also available.

The Fall 2011 Scholarly Writing Course is offered as two non-credit workshops lasting six weeks each. This course is not eligible for a tuition waiver. The cost of each six-week section is $350. For Fall 2011 this course is scheduled for Tuesday, 4th period, and Thursday, 4th and 5th periods.

The Fall B 2011 term workshop will run from November 1 to December 8. On November 1 the class will meet in Room 51 of Matherly Hall.

To register for the Scholarly Writing class, please visit:

http://xms.dce.ufl.edu/reg/groups/eli/registration.aspx

For general questions please contact Megan Forbes, director of the UF English Language Institute, at [log in to unmask]

For questions regarding course content, please e-mail the instructor, Stephen Flocks, at [log in to unmask]

Thank you!