At one point we had an upperclass student staff member who was very
interested in assisting others with their communication skills and had the
expertise (faculty recommended) to do so.  So, we simply publicized that
students could sign up to practice their speech in front of him.  Depending
on the student's wishes, he would also videotape it for them if they
wanted.  We have a student symposium each semester and we targeted the
students that were scheduled to give a symposium.  It wasn't wildly popular,
but the few students who took advantage of it were very appreciative of the
opportunity and of his helpful feedback.

Almost like a tutor, but more of a helpful one-time shot.

Joy

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Banas, Mishelle <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are finding, after midterms, that we have a lot of first year students
> who are not doing well in their introduction to communications and their
> composition (English 110) courses. We are beginning to identify what the
> issues may be so we can offer some assistance.
>
> However, I was wondering if anyone else offers support programs for English
> (beyond just a traditional Writing Center for paper support) and
> Communications (beyond a speech coach). If you are doing anything additional
> to offer support to your students, please let me know.
>
> In addition, we have learned that some of our students need basic
> assistance in grammar, sentence structure, etc. -- concepts that our Writing
> Center does not focus on. Have you experienced this also and if so, do you
> offer workshops or any additional support to help students with these
> skills?
>
> Thanks much!
> Mishelle
>
> Dr. Mishelle Banas
> Director of Academic Support Programs
> Teaching and Learning Center
> Monmouth College
> 2nd Floor Poling Hall
> 309-457-2214

> browser to

This email communication is confidential.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, copy, use, or disclose the contents of this
communication to others.  Please notify the sender that you have received
this email in error by replying to the email or by telephoning (608)
363-2572.  Please then delete the email and any copies of it.  Thank you.

Joy

Joy de Leon
Assistant Dean of Students
Director, Learning Enrichment and Disability Services
Beloit College
700 College Street
Beloit, WI 53511
(608) 363-2572 (office)