Some subscribers to LRNASST-L might be interested in "Re: Economic
Inequality: The Real Cause of Urban School Problems #2" [Hake (2011)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: ARN-L's Bob Schaeffer (2011) in a post "Economic
Inequality: The Real Cause of Urban School Problems" alluded to a
Chicago Tribune Op. Ed. <http://bit.ly/rv3rMO> of that title by Greg
Duncan and Richard Murnane (2011a), drawn from a book
<http://bit.ly/nCkmKv> "Whither Opportunity? Rising Inequality,
Schools, and Children's Life Chances" [Duncan & Murnane (2011)].

Regarding the influence of economic inequality on K-12 education,
some subscribers might also be interested in these six items:

1. "Our Impoverished View of Educational Reform" [Berliner (2005)],
online as an 872 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/ff8BVj>;

2. "Poverty and Potential: Out-of-School Factors and School
Success"[Berliner (2009)], online as a 729 kB pdf at
<http://bit.ly/fqiCUA>;

3. "To Improve Schools, Fight Poverty, Education Expert Says" [Gosier
(2011)], online at <http://bit.ly/qyrBSL> - the expert is Stephen
Krashen <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Krashen>;

4.  "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students'
Academic Gain?" [Hake (2011a,b)], online at <http://bit.ly/g6UWUZ>
and <http://bit.ly/jy61UB>;

5.  "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in Mathematics: Poverty
is a More Important Cause than Teacher Quality" [Marder  (2011a)],
online as a 3.3 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/fjUquC>;

6. "Education and Poverty: Visualizations of World, US, and
State-level Educational Data,"  [Marder  (2011b)], online at
<http://bit.ly/nYC6eF>.

To access the complete 15 kB article please click on <http://bit.ly/ozuZEn>.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
       Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"For the short term, preparing teachers in mathematics and science is
a wise and useful step toward improving schools. . . . . .[But]. . .
As quickly as possible, we must understand the link between poverty
and educational outcomes in the US, devise solutions, and test and
implement them. Britain briefly tried to substitute public relations
for aircraft safety and paid with the loss of its commercial aviation
sector. I hope the United States can avoid a similar error, that
proponents of teacher quality and charter schools will recognize the
weakness of the evidence before it is too late, that we will not
damage public education, let down our most vulnerable students, and
lose technical leadership we take for granted."
             Michael Marder (2011)

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on
12 Oct 2011.]

Hake, R.R. 2011. "Re: Economic Inequality: The Real Cause of Urban
School Problems #2," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at
<http://bit.ly/ozuZEn>. Post of 11 Oct 2011 19:59:34-0700 to AERA-L
and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were
transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog
"Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/nOFgXx>.