Hello David Reedy! Hear hear! I love your commentary below on the service
that 2 year institutions do regarding developmental ed.  This is often where
students go to get the basics, recommit, regroup, and build a locus of
control.  Most of the students in developmental math here at SFA would have
benefitted from a two-year institution where they could really focus on
those fundamentals and not be distracted by a sometimes overwhelming call to
engage socially at a big school.  So many of our developmental students
repeat the course--and repeat again. If we could remove the stigma often
associated with junior colleges, then more students might choose to start
their academic journey there.  Until then, most will choose the big
school--it makes them feel like they "made it."  Freedom of choice about
one's university is good--unless it inadvertently sets the student up to
fail.  I have tried to see academic standards that often shut doors to our
institution as a measure that often saves a student from a GPA to low to
build back up, poor self-esteem, and thousands of dollars of debt.  We look
forward to seeing them mentally stronger and more academically prepared two
years later :)

wOO HoO!
M.E. McWilliams
AARC Tutoring Center Director
FACEBOOK US!
Stephen F. Austin State University
936 468 1439

The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own and do not
necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Stephen F. Austin State
University, its Board of Regents, or the State of Texas.