From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Briggs, Dorothy A - (dabriggs) [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 2:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: starting a new center

All of the suggestions given so far are wonderful.  I think the take-away is that there is not any one "best" way to get students to come to the center.  It is using a multi-faceted approach throughout the year that works.  Market year-around in as many ways as you can and you will learn what works best for your student population.

Some additional suggestions I have:

*         Offer a "study-a-thon" or some sort of extended support day around exams and finals.  By doing it for mid-term exams you can promote good study habits all semester long.  Prior to finals you can help students learn how to create a viable study plan (8 Day Study Plan<http://thinktank.arizona.edu/sites/thinktank.arizona.edu/files/website-documents/8%20day%20study%20plan.pdf> ).

*         Bookmarks specific to services (we do SI bookmarks, Academic Skills bookmarks, Math drop-in book marks, general info book marks...):

o   Given to advisors to hand out to students

o   Given to instructors (e.g. math instructors) to give out in class

o   Placed in book bags at the Bookstore

o   Given to other offices that support retention efforts (e.g. Student Support Services)

*         Website link off of the campus main page so that when students Google "tutoring" your center pops up (wish I could make this happen for us!)

*         Website that has up to date information and is useful for students (ask them to give you feedback)

*         Word of mouth is amazing - make sure your student employees know about all the services and can talk about them.  Have  your two minute "elevator speech" and use it every opportunity you can.  Make sure the students that visit feel appreciated and they will share their experiences.

When you have a new center it takes time for the campus community (faculty, staff, and administration) to build trust in your center.  Keep doing great work and talking about how important you are to the success of students.  Back it with data.  Then they will come around and back you by sending students to you.

Good luck!

Dorothy

Dorothy  Briggs
Certified Learning Center Professional-Level 3
Director, THINK TANK
(520)626-1904
thinktank.arizona.edu