From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Daniels, Stephanie
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tutoring policies

Dear Colleagues,
I supervise the tutoring and SI programs through the Learning Assistance Center at Xavier University, and we have been experiencing an increase in the use of our services (which is great) but there are some resource constraints that have led us to investigate implementing some tutoring policies and guidelines.  Our office provides subject specific tutoring by appointment, where a student meets regularly (once a week for about an hour) with a tutor.  With our increase in requests, we have been scheduling 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 sessions instead of individual in some cases.
One concern that we have is that (good) students request tutors early in the semester, but by the time we get requests from students who are performing poorly in a class (midterms) we are on waitlist for high demand subjects.
If anyone has any policies or suggestions that you have implemented that may help address some of these concerns, I would be interested in hearing them.
Thanks for your assistance,
Stephanie