** Proprietary **

hey all,
I'm one of those Ohio LRNASST folks and you know I am not going to miss a chance to comment when asked to (by David A., not the rest of y'all).
We are blessed in Ohio to have a system of 2-year institutions that the governor put into place back in 1960's. Yes the same one that sent national guard troops to Kent State also created this system where anyone in the state would have access to higher education through these colleges.

However, 50 years later we are sometimes a second class entity but more often than not, we are partners with the 4-year institutions. Many of the students who needed any type of remediation, for reasons I will not go into here, start with the 2-year institution. This may be because it is much more convenient, less costly, and less scary than going to the university where many fear being lost in the crowd without any support. These are assumptions they have and while we are benefitting from them, we also take the challenge of supporting all students in their desire for further education.

Just like our 4-year Private AND Public partner institutions, we have students who don't make it and build up financial aid bills however they generally will leave earlier and pile up lower bills. For many students, we are the experimental and experiential locations while they figure out what else to do with their lives after finishing with us. We have some that go no where else in higher ed and enter the workforce directly, yes even after just 2 years thankfully.

I'm passionate about this. I flunked out of my first college back in 1978 because I didn't go looking for help and didn't learn how to study. Lucky for me, the next school wouldn't take me until I went to Northern Virginia Community College full time for a year to fix the gpa and maybe even grow up. However, I did and now so many years later I earned the Ph. D.

So, to the Ohio Solution, I say, bring it on. It just means we are doing and have been doing a good job with these students. We all know Dev Ed is needed and isn't just remedial any more.

Sincerely,
David

David Reedy, Ph. D.
(614) 287-2232