Dear colleagues,

There have been further improvements to the address information in the
(Social) Science Citation Index and Arts and Humanities Index of
Thomson-Reuters. At least, I receive requests for changes on the basis of
files downloaded with different formats in the US and Europe.

New versions are now available of the programs which exhaustively use this
address information, for example, for overlays of Google Maps. These
programs are:
1. ISI.exe (at http://www.leydesdorff.net/software/isi) for the generation
of relational databases;
2. IntColl.exe and InstColl.exe for international and institutional
networks, respectively (http://www.leydesdorff.net/software/intcoll and
http://www.leydesdorff.net/instcoll )
3. Cities1.exe and Inst1.exe for Google Maps using the top-10% in terms of
citations for the testing (http://www.leydesdorff.net/maps and
http://www.leydesdorff.net/topcity);
4. I3Cit1.exe and I3Inst1.exe for Google Maps based on using the Integrated
Impact Indicator for the testing of impact above expectation
(http://www.leydesdorff.net/software/i3).

The new versions also take care that in the case of English (as different
from other UK) addresses, the countyname is sometimes used in addition to
the city name (except for the case of London). Using the position of the
postal code in the address field, the routine now makes a best guess for the
city name. This may go wrong in the case that there are no postal codes.

In the case of Japanese addresses, it is not possible to distinguish clearly
between city and prefecture addresses. For example, Yokohama is a city in
the Kanagawa prefecture.  However, “ci= Yokohama and ci=Kanagawa” provides
today 1,161 records in the database, while there are 89,000+ for ci=Kanagawa
and 31,000+ for “ci=Yokohama”. Sometimes the city name is not provided in
the address information, but instead the name of the prefecture with the
postal code. I chose to use the names of prefectures. The confusion provides
no problems for Tokyo and Osaka, because in these cases the prefectures and
the city names are the same.

US city names are now always provided with the abbreviations for states so
that “Athens GA” is clearly distinguished from “Athens OH”. In the case of
“Frankfurt, Germany” and without a postal code, Frankfurt a.M. is written in
the outupt and not Frankfurt a.d. Oder.

There may be country-specific problems that we have not run into hitherto.
Please, feel free to let me know.
See for further explanation:
• An Evaluation of Impacts in "Nanoscience & nanotechnology:" Steps towards
standards for citation analysis (in preparation).
• Lutz Bornmann and Loet Leydesdorff, Which cities produce worldwide
excellent papers more than expected? A new mapping approach—using Google
Maps—based on statistical significance testing. Journal of the American
Society for Information Science and Technology 62(10) (2011) 1954-1962;
[software & manual]
• Loet Leydesdorff & Olle Persson, Mapping the Geography of Science:
Distribution Patterns and Networks of Relations among Cities and Institutes,
Journal of the American Society for Information Science & Technology 61(8)
(2010) 1622-1634; <pdf-version> <software and manual>

I will shortly extend these routines for generating overlays to Google Maps
to searches in the USPTO database.
With best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Professor, University of Amsterdam
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel. +31-20-525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
[log in to unmask] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Visiting Professor, ISTIC, Beijing; Honorary Fellow, SPRU, University of
Sussex