Thanks to Joe and David and Kathleen for your responses.
I will look into ORA and Siena as an alternative to HLM.
I was hoping to hear from someone about why a multilevel model was not appropriate before taking on another analysis plan.
Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Roy

Hi Roy,

I suppose you could run a SIENA model, include both the density parameter as you would normally do, and then add a square of the density parameter to test for the inverted-U shaped relationship you're expecting.

Joe
Giuseppe (Joe) Labianca
Gatton Endowed Associate Professor of Management
Gatton College of Business & Economics
LINKS Center for Social Network Analysis
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506
859-257-3741 (office)
404-428-4878 (mobile)