  This morning, as I was fixing breakfast, I heard what sounded like a very anemic Red-tailed Hawk. My first thought was a Blue Jay doing an imitation. I've often heard them imitate a Red-shouldered Hawk and they're sometimes pretty good at that one. This was only the 2nd time I've heard one try an RTHA. The bird was in a small flock of jays that lingered in the area for another 15 minutes or so before moving on.
  Later, as I was walking out of the post office, I caught a glimpse of rufous primaries on pointed wings disappearing in an oak tree. I walked around in the parking lot to get a better view, much to the consternation of a woman who seemed wary of my intentions as she sat in her car quickly locking her doors. Sure enough, my first Yellow-billed Cuckoo of the year.
  Finally, on the way home, I was driving by a large lake that every winter hosts a large flock of American Coots, Lesser Scaup and Ring-necked Ducks. No sign of the ducks yet but there were at least 300 AMCO on the lake. They'll provide a ready meal for the Bald Eagles that are incubating on their nest about 500 yards due west behind a townhouse development. Life is good.

David Hartgrove
Daytona Beach, FL