Dear INSNA members,

I want to remind everyone about the forthcoming Freeman award which will be announced at the 2012 Sunbelt conference. I want to encourage senior social network scholars to nominate outstanding new researchers in the field. You can do so by email to me, including a letter explaining the importance of the nominee’s work and a current CV for the nominee.

This award is given to a distinguished scholar in the field of social networks for significant contributions to the scientific study of social structure.  The award is designed to be given to a young scholar, someone in the earlier stages of their research career -- someone under 40 years old or someone who has received their PhD within the past 10 years. Consideration is also given to persons who have come to education later in life or who have interrupted their career for any reason (family, health, etc.)  The winner of this award is selected by a committee designated by the INSNA Board president.  Suggested recipients are nominated by members of the committee and by any interested members of the social network community at large. The Committee considers the nominated candidates' contributions and qualifications through a series of electronic discussions.

Garry Robins (Chair), Kathleen Carley, and Rafael Wittek have agreed to serve on the screening committee for this award.  Nominations should be sent to the chair at [log in to unmask].  The recipient will be announced in March and deliver the Freeman lecture at Sunbelt XXXIII in Hamburg, Germany now scheduled for 21-26 May 2013.

Garry Robins

Dr Garry Robins
Psychological Sciences
University of Melbourne