ANNOUNCEMENT

Date:  September 18, 2012

To:    All UF Graduate Students

Cc:    All UF Graduate Coordinators and Staff

From:  UF Innovation through Institutional Integration (I-Cubed) Program

RE:    9/28/2012: I-Cubed Graduate Student Mentoring Award Deadline

2012 I-CUBED GRADUATE STUDENT MENTORING AWARD

The Innovation through Institutional Integration (I-Cubed) program at the University of Florida is a five-year project funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) to foster integration of student-based research and training programs in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) disciplines, including SBE (Social, Behavioral & Economic) sciences. One of the objectives of the program is to encourage graduate students to grow professionally and engage with peers, undergraduates or in a K-12 classroom environment, through mentoring.

Purpose: This award is intended to reward graduate students who take time to help others succeed as graduate or undergraduate students or in K-12 classrooms (i.e., working with K-12 students and/or teachers). This Award is particularly designed to acknowledge the mentoring contribution from the graduate students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) disciplines, including SBE (Social, Behavioral and Economic) sciences.

AWARD DETAILS

Up to 8 awards ($500 each) will be given. The awardees will be officially recognized during Graduate Student Research Day on October 23, 2012.

Awards will be given to student-mentors who provided or currently provide:
-- Peer-to-peer mentoring of graduate students
-- Mentoring of undergraduate students
-- Mentoring in a K-12 classroom (working with K-12 students and/or teachers)

ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA

-- The applicant (i.e., nominee) must be a UF graduate student in either the PhD or Master's program at the time of application.
-- Experienced mentor-mentee relationship in any of the following categories during an academic year:
   -- undergraduate students
   -- graduate students
   -- K-12 students
   -- K-12 teachers

Application package is due by 12:00 p.m. on September 28, 2012.

For application package and more information, please go to http://i3.institutes.ufl.edu/funding-2/nsf-funding/2012-i-cubed-graduate-student-mentoring-award/