Dear SocNet-ers:

I'm somewhat familiar with the work and measures developed by Burt on
structural holes, and the work of Borgatti on "keyplayers." What I
have not been able to find are references/software relevant to a
related idea (perhaps because I'm not looking in the right area or
with the right terms). Here is the similar, yet different issue I'm
interested in:

Imagine a network of faculty at a university, with edges connecting
faculty with similar research interests. Instead of adding a link
between two nodes, say A and B, that already exist (what I understand
as the structural holes issue), I'm interested in being able to
identify portions of the network that would be "strengthened" by or
otherwise benefit from the addition of a *new* node that connects to
two existing nodes in the network. This might be equivalent to hiring
a new faculty member (X) to build collaborative relations between two
existing nodes (A and B) rather than directly connecting A and B. I'm
interesting in some sort of metric/measure to indicate that hiring X
to "connect" A and B would yield more "benefits" (e.g., more resilient
network, average path length decreases, etc.) than hiring Y who would
"connect" A and F, for example.

Pointers to literature on this issue and software that can identify
such regions of a network would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.
Mike Vitevitch

______________________________

Michael S. Vitevitch, Ph.D.
Associate Professor