The concept of "broker" is what you are looking for. See the index in my
new book "Understanding Social Networks" for findings and literature on
brokers.

*http://tinyurl.com/bmd2rto
*

Classically, the first extended discussion of brokers is in Boissevain,
Jeremy. 1974. Friends of friends: Networks, manipulators and coalitions.
London: Basil Blackwell. No metrics, but lots of good ideas.

**

On 1/13/2012 1:31 PM, Michael Vitevitch wrote:

> Dear SocNet-ers:
>
> I'm somewhat familiar with the work and measures developed by Burt on
> structural holes, and the work of Borgatti on "keyplayers." What I
> have not been able to find are references/software relevant to a
> related idea (perhaps because I'm not looking in the right area or
> with the right terms). Here is the similar, yet different issue I'm
> interested in:
>
> Imagine a network of faculty at a university, with edges connecting
> faculty with similar research interests. Instead of adding a link
> between two nodes, say A and B, that already exist (what I understand
> as the structural holes issue), I'm interested in being able to
> identify portions of the network that would be "strengthened" by or
> otherwise benefit from the addition of a *new* node that connects to
> two existing nodes in the network. This might be equivalent to hiring
> a new faculty member (X) to build collaborative relations between two
> existing nodes (A and B) rather than directly connecting A and B. I'm
> interesting in some sort of metric/measure to indicate that hiring X
> to "connect" A and B would yield more "benefits" (e.g., more resilient
> network, average path length decreases, etc.) than hiring Y who would
> "connect" A and F, for example.
>
> Pointers to literature on this issue and software that can identify
> such regions of a network would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.
> Mike Vitevitch
>

> ______________________________
>
> Michael S. Vitevitch, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor
>
> Department of Psychology
> 1415 Jayhawk Blvd.
> University of Kansas
> Lawrence, KS 66045
>
> _http://www.people.ku.edu/~mvitevit <http://www.people.ku.edu/%7Emvitevit>
> _e-mail:[log in to unmask]
> _voice: 785-864-9312
> FAX: 785-864-5696
> Fraser Hall Room 406
>
> Spoken Language Laboratory
> Fraser Hall Room 011
> 785-864-9484
>
> Senior Associate Director
> University Honors Program
> Nunemaker Center
> Room 105
> 785-864-4225

Charles Kadushin
Distinguished Scholar, Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies
Visiting Research Professor Sociology
Brandeis University

Telephone: 212-865-4369
http://www.charleskadushin.com