From: "Garry Robins" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:18 AM
Subject: [SOCNET] FW: Question regarding the human mind's capacity to make
sense of network structures

To me, the interesting question is not the "mind's capacity", but whether
there may be cognitive biasses in perceiving networks. That's why the
cognitive social structure work is relevant to this question. There is
evidence that we humans see networks as more structured than they actually
are (see Koehly & Pattison in Carrington, Scott and Wasserman, 2005; also
Kumbasar et al, 1994, which they cite.) Casciaro did some interesting work
on network perception in the 1990s. More recently, have a look at Igarashi
and Kashima (2011) in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology,
involving some network perception experimental manipulations and perceptions
of "group-ness". If you get down to specific types of network ties, then
Lutz and Lakey and colleagues have done some interesting work in regard to
social support networks, about the factors that lead individuals perceiving
that a social support tie is present.

Garry Robins

Professor

School of Psychological Sciences