Dear Michael,

I like the question you raise (I am also a fan of Burt's work),

I am unsure whether you will find a software that does precisely what
you want. However, using a network analysis software and scripting, I
believe you should be able to easily implement a solution to your problem.

This gives me the opportunity to promote the Tulip workshop I am
organizing at the next Sunbelt Conference (in collaboration with C.
Rozenblat from Lausanne, SW).

Tulip allows you to write python script you can run on any network,
being able to visualize the network and see the effect of "hiring X or
Y" is a matter of a few line of codes. May I suggest you to join us in
March? Be there and I promise to deliver a solution to your problem :-)

For more info, have a look at:
http://tulip.labri.fr/TulipDrupal/?q=node/1621

Best,
Guy
--

Le 13/01/2012 13:31, Michael Vitevitch a écrit :

> Dear SocNet-ers:
>
> I'm somewhat familiar with the work and measures developed by Burt on
> structural holes, and the work of Borgatti on "keyplayers." What I
> have not been able to find are references/software relevant to a
> related idea (perhaps because I'm not looking in the right area or
> with the right terms). Here is the similar, yet different issue I'm
> interested in:
>
> Imagine a network of faculty at a university, with edges connecting
> faculty with similar research interests. Instead of adding a link
> between two nodes, say A and B, that already exist (what I understand
> as the structural holes issue), I'm interested in being able to
> identify portions of the network that would be "strengthened" by or
> otherwise benefit from the addition of a *new* node that connects to
> two existing nodes in the network. This might be equivalent to hiring
> a new faculty member (X) to build collaborative relations between two
> existing nodes (A and B) rather than directly connecting A and B. I'm
> interesting in some sort of metric/measure to indicate that hiring X
> to "connect" A and B would yield more "benefits" (e.g., more resilient
> network, average path length decreases, etc.) than hiring Y who would
> "connect" A and F, for example.
>
> Pointers to literature on this issue and software that can identify
> such regions of a network would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.
> Mike Vitevitch
>

> ______________________________
>
> Michael S. Vitevitch, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor