Language is a tool which codes relationships.

Some languages have a much (MUCH) greater variety of ways to code relationships (i.e. Bulgarian) so beware the literature review which only samples cultures with a limited vocabulary for familial relations (i.e. English). Anthropology has been really good about recording the linguistic coding for relations but I couldn't point you to any studies which combined that with SNA-style memory studies.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marten Düring" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:45:57 PM
Subject: [SOCNET] Question regarding the human mind's capacity to make sense of network structures

***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Hi all
I am wondering whether someone could point me to research on the human mind's capacity to map and make sense of (social) network structures independently from any external tools. In other words: Up to which number of actors and ties are we able to understand network structures fairly well?

Thanks
Marten

Marten Düring

Kulturwissenschaftliches Institut Essen