An awesome day at STA-5 in Hendry County today! We found both the
Cassin's Kingbird AND the Gray Kingbird, which shouldn't even be here
in Florida at this time of the year! However, Ruth Woodall found the
best bird of the day which was a male Cinnamon Teal! I found the first
one at STA-5 in 2004, before it was "officially" opened and it took
nearly 8 years to find another. Another great bird we saw was a
Western Willet which was a first for STA-5 although we've seen a few
Eastern Willets in the past. Add in Snail Kite, Purple Swamphen,
Northern Pintail, Ruddy Duck, Fulvous & Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks,
American Wigeon, Canvasback, Northern Shoveler, Blue-winged & Green-
winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, American White Pelican, Roseate
Spoonbill, Long-billed Dowitcher, Dunlin, Barn Owl, Crested Caracara,
Caspian Tern, Northern Rough-winged & Tree Swallows, Peregrine Falcon,
etc. etc. and you can see why STA-5 is such a great birding hotspot!
On the way home, several of us counted a total of 28 combined Scissor-
tailed Flycatchers & Western Kingbirds along CR835 near the Deer Fence
Canal which I dub my "Kingbird Highway". Finally, on the Collier/
Hendry County line (CR858), Bernie Master and I saw a dark morph Short-
tailed Hawk. Wow! What a great day of birding! I'll let Margaret
England of Hendry-Glades Audubon give the complete list of birds seen
today. Thanks Margaret for doing such a fine job organizing these
tours at such a terrific birding hotspot!

Vince

Vincent P. Lucas
Naples, FL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leppyone/