Hey everyone,

While birding for Disney's Holiday Bird Count yesterday (which I will post on when all our data is finalized), we stopped by West Beach Park on the shore of Lake Sheen for sunset.  The eight Horned Grebes found on Thursday were still present.  They were all bunched together in the middle of the lake - a scope was definitely needed for IDs.  We also stopped by right before noon (fearful boats out on the lake may spook the Horned Grebes away before sunset), where we saw at least three, closer to our side of the shore, but diving often.  If you still need this bird for Orange County, this is probably a good bet!

Also present at the lake were around 40 Lesser Scaup, 3 Forster's Terns and a Sedge Wren in the tall marsh vegetation right along the shore.

West Beach Park is a tiny sliver of a park on CR-535 (Winter Garden-Vineland Road), just southeast of the Tibet-Butler Preserve in SW Orange County.

Good Birding,

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.