Here's a thought: what if the vegetables (like sweet peas) were potted plants, growing on indoor lit shelves? These potted plants can be rinsed and placed alive, on cafeteria tables when ripe for eating. It just might be intriguing for the kids to pick their pea pods or grape-tomatoes from the plant, while sitting on the table. Kids can even be involved in growing these, to teach them about apartment-grown food. It's also more of a ritual for a group of kids to pick fruit form the same plant at a table, and it makes eating these more interactive and interesting.

These plants can also be fertilized from organic waste processed on site, using the right, convenient and hygienic equipment.

Hala
--
Hala Chaoui, PhD, EIT
Agricultural Engineer