Date:    February 3, 2012

To:      All UF Graduate Coordinators and Staff

From:    Debra Anderson
	   International Student Services Director
         UF International Center

RE:      Address Updates and Tax Filing for International Students

Just so you are aware, the UF International Center (UFIC) will soon be e-mailing our current international students detailed information about these two important topics:

(1) Address Updates: It is a federal requirement to update the international student's physical location address in the United States. The students are required to do it within 10 days of arrival to the US and within 10 days of moving to a new location. We then have 20 days to update this information in the SEVIS system which goes directly to the federal government. The students may not use a post office box, their department address, the UFIC address, or their international home address as a permanent physical location address. It must be an address where they are physically living.  We will be sending an email to the international students requesting them to update their address at the following website: 

(2) Tax Filing: International students are required to file tax returns and/or a Form 8843. They are NOT eligible to file taxes on a resident form if they have been here less than 5 years. UFIC provides a free international tax filing program for all students/scholars holding an F1/J1/J2 visa. The program should be available no later than the beginning of next week (February 6th) and is accessed through a secure portal. A detailed email will be sent to the students/scholars with instructions on how to access the program and how to file their taxes. The Law School will also be offering assistance through their VITA program. They will assist the students/scholars in using the tax software program we are providing. If your students have any questions concerning filing their taxes (once the tax program has been launched by the company), they can contact itself which provides an extremely efficient helpdesk, they can go to the VITA office in the Law School or you may refer them to me at [log in to unmask] Keep in mind, students who are on scholarships should receive a form 1042S, which is required for filing taxes. However, these forms (1042S) are not usually distributed before March. Any student receiving a scholarship or scholarship and assistantship should not file taxes until they have received the Form 1042S.  

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [log in to unmask] 

Thank you!