Hi Ernese,

Depending on how you went about your sampling, you may want to look into
the work of Handcock & Gile (and their colleagues) at the Center for
Statistics and the Social Sciences at the University of Washington.  They
have several working papers that might be relevant. For example they have a
working paper (no. 75) titled "Modeling Social Networks with Sampled or
Missing Data."  In this paper they address how best to handle missing data
that occurs "by design" (i.e., due to the sampling design) when estimating
ERGMs.

But, an alternative approach from ERG that I have used to analyze disparate
ego-networks is hierarchical linear modeling.  The van Duijn et al (1999)
and Wellman & Frank (2001) papers cited below, demonstrate the utility of
this approach for studying the same kind of outcomes that ergm focuses on
(i.e., the likelihood of a tie). The idea in using HLM to study
ego-networks is that it accounts for the interdependencies within nested
data (i.e., ties and alters embedded within egos and ego-networks) and
enables you to identify independent factors specific to alter traits, tie
traits, traits of the ego and traits of the ego-network.  Alter/tie
variables are treated at the first level of analysis and ego/network
variables are treated at level two.

Just some food for thought...

Best,
Lindsay

van Duijn, M. A. J., van Busschbach, J. T., & Snijders, T. A. B. (1999).
Multilevel analysis of personal networks as dependent variables. Social
Networks, 21(2), 187-210. doi: 10.1016/s0378-8733(99)00009-x

Wellman, B., & Frank, K. (2001). Network Capital in a Multi-Level World:
Getting Support from Personal Communities. In N. Lin, R. S. Burt & K. Cooke
(Eds.), Social Capital: Theory and Research (p. 233+). Chicago: Aldine De
Gruyter.
-------------------------------

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Emese Domahidi
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am computing ERGM Models for ego networks of approximately 90 egos and
> their alteri. The ego networks are not interconnected. I constructed an
> overall model for all networks, controlling for different network
> structures (e.g. edges and gwdsp) and different individual and dyadic
> attributes. The model is converging and the model fit is ok.
>
> My question is whether constructing an overall model instead of looking at
> each ego network individually is an appropriate way to model ERGM for
> ego networks. I would really appreciate comments on this approach as well
> as
> literature recommendations on ego networks and ERG models.
>
> Cheers, Emese

Lindsay Young
Doctoral Student
Northwestern University