Brooke,

I usually start my network classes by showing "Connected: How Kevin
Bacon Cured Cancer," a documentary that gives a quick overview of
complex networks (circa 2008).  It uses the kevin bacon/small world
trope throughout, so I usually follow it up with a short takehome
activity that uses www.oracleofbacon.org.  Essentially, I ask students
to try to locate an actor with a bacon number greater than 3 (but less
than infinity), to explain how they decided who to try, and to explain
why they think they were/were not successful.  I've done this in both
grad and undergrad courses, and it seems to work well in both cases.

Best,
Zachary

--
Zachary Neal, Assistant Professor