***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Dear Shahadat,

Some experts will probably give you more details, but here is my experience with SAOM:

To give you an idea of the technical limitations, I have successfully run a model with 1200 actors in less than 24 hours using RSiena (My machine: Processor 3.06 Ghz; 16 GB of RAM; 64-bit OS). Then the computing time increases exponentially.

Besides the technical limitations, and depending on the kind of network you analyze, you might also violate the assumption that each actor knows the particular way ties are organized in the network (Snijders et al. 2010).

I also think that a new type of SAOM for the modeling of large networks is under development. This should partially overcome the technical limitations related to the size of the network, and also relax the assumption that actors are able to evaluate their position in the network (I think that the idea is to switch from the assumption of information on the entire structure to information on the local structure, which is also more realistic for small networks anyway).

Best,

Pierre-Alex

Reference:

Snijders T., Van De Bunt G. and Steglich C. (2010) Introduction to actor-based models for network dynamics, Social Networks 32, 44 – 60.