In our work on dynamic network visualization, we produced many images and
also movies of different types of networks. Especially some of the resulting
videos may add value, as they visually emphasize how networks can change
over time.

We assembled these pictures and videos on our project website
www.commetrix.net - check out the pics and video section (top left links).
Further check out the project case (bottom left links) with further videos.

For example, in the pics+videos section there is a link 'Evolution' leading
to a very neat video showing how people help each other in a discussion
board, forming clusters over time. This was always very inspiring for
students. If they see how networks develop they get a better notion of the
meaning of the resulting structure and the processes that may have lead to it.

Further, there is a network where we can see how the informal interaction
done via e-mail changes the whole informal network of an organization and
how external events influence the evolution of the network (the Enron case,
with the depth of the background story it is always a nice example)

We have also worked on the evolution of co-authorship collaboration over 30
years, also showing how the collaboration on certain core topics evolved.

And there is also a network movie showing all warfare relationships during
almost 200 years on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAKeVMjx9GM

Actually, if you are interested in jointly exploring networks, you might
want to use the tool Commetrix (commetrix.net) or the more simple Viewer
(shows interactive movies, available upon request) in a class session, it
allows you to drill down visually, move a time slider back and forth, search
for topics, the backbone etc. I found that exploring a network together in a
sort of interactive session can also give a more immersive perception of
network data.

Best,
Matthias.

Dr. Matthias Trier | Associate Professor
Dpmt. of IT Management | Copenhagen Business School
Dpmt. of Systems Analysis and IT | TU Berlin | Adjunct
http://www.ikmresearch.de
http://www.commetrix.de