see also:
Clauset, Aaron, Cosma Rohilla Shalizi, and M. E. J. Newman. 2009.
Power-law distributions in empirical data. arXiv:0706.1062v1
[physics.data-an].

On 2/26/2012 11:33 AM, James Holland Jones wrote:

> Hi Barry,
>
> At the risk of coming across as self-serving, I will answer this question since Mark Handcock and I have done quite a bit of work on this topic.
>
> They're generally right. I don't think that any human network that isn't mediated by technology actually has a power-law degree distribution. Maintaining relationships is too costly. I'm also skeptical about the power-law status of most socio-technical networks, but I keep an open mind. Not surprisingly, they missed (or ignored) some work by non-physicists. Mark Handcock and I noted the statistical weakness of all the power-law degree distribution work in a series of papers and provided an alternative approach (ML estimation of actual probability models rather than OLS fitting of the double-log survival plot).
>
> Jones, J. H., and M. S. Handcock. 2003. An Assessment of Preferential Attachment as a Mechanism for Human Sexual  Network Formation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences. 270:1123-1128.
>
> Jones, J. H., and M. S. Handcock. 2003. Sexual Contacts and Epidemic Thresholds. Nature. 425:605-606.
> Network Formation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences. 270:1123-1128.
>
> Handcock, M. S., and J. H. Jones. 2004. Likelihood-Based Inference for Stochastic Models of Sexual Network Evolution. Theoretical Population Biology. 65:413-422.
>
> Handcock, M. S., and J. H. Jones. 2006. Interval Estimates for Epidemic Thresholds in Two-Sex Network Models. Theoretical Population Biology. 70:125-134.
>
> In the first two, we show that the variance of the power-law exponent is greatly under-estimated by OLS (and also suggest that the same marginal power-law degree distribution can represent very different networks from an epidemiological perspective). Our estimates (and 95% CIs) of the scaling exponents show that if power laws do fit sexual network data, they fall off so fast (because the exponents a much greater than 2) that all the weird stuff about epidemics on power-law graphs (e.g., no epidemic threshold level of transmission) don't actually apply.  In the 2004 paper, we show that the best-fitting model is generally not a power law when we test against multiple models. It's a shifted negative binomial.  Longish tail but certainly not fat. Re Stumpf&  Porter's point about the weakness mechanistic sophistication, this can be seen in the fact that so a wide variety of models -- with differing underlying stochastic processes leading to the marginal degree distribution -- fit!
>    about equally well. The OLS fit to the logged survival plot provides no insight into the behavior driving the evolution of the network.

> [...]

Charles Kadushin
Distinguished Scholar, Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies
Visiting Research Professor Sociology
Brandeis University

Telephone: 212-865-4369
http://www.charleskadushin.com