Hi folks,

Our next release of Statnet will have some tools for dealing with
egonets in both cross-sectional and dynamic networks.  We'll be talking
about them in the "Stergm" workshop at the Sunbelt, which is when the next
release will be available.

Specifically, the methods will allow you to estimate an ERGM for a
complete network that has the statistics observable from the egonetworks
(e.g., degree distributions and selective mixing).  Once you have the
estimated model, you can simulate (complete) networks with these
properties.  Each simulation is a draw from the distribution of networks
specified by the model.

The dynamic form requires additional information on partnership dynamics
(at minimum, the average duration), and estimates a model that allows you
to simulate complete dynamic networks over time.

This is work that Mark Handcock originally developed, and it is being
implemented and extended by Pavel Krivitsky.

best,
Martina

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012, Miranda Jessica Lubbers wrote:

> Dear Emese,
>
> If I understand you correctly, you mean with "overall model" that you combined the ego-networks into one network with missing values for pairs of individuals who do not belong to the same ego-network. If you have a sufficiently large number of alters per ego, you could alternatively run an ERGM per network and then perform a meta-analysis on the results (similar to Tom Snijders and Chris Baerveldt, Journal of Mathematical Sociology, 2003, and myself, Social Networks, 2003) - in which you can also include ego or network characteristics as explanatory variables. Personal networks tend to be very heterogeneous in structure, and the use of one overall network doesnīt do justice to that. But of course, such an approach is only useful for large networks (Also, you would probably wish to leave the egos out).
>
> As Lindsay said, HLM is an alternative approach to study the likelihood of a tie (or tie contents), but itīs typically used for ego-alter pairs, not among alters - if thatīs what youīre after. One exception is the paper of Hugh Louch (Social Networks, 2000) with small networks. You would need to assume that within personal networks, dyads are independent of one another.
>
> There is also a paper by Yuval Kalish and Garry Robins (Social Networks, 2006), which gives a nice alternative to studying personal network structures cross-sectionally.
>
> I hope this is useful for you. Good luck!
>
> Miranda
>

> Miranda Lubbers
> Ramon y Cajal Researcher
> Laboratory for Personal Networks and Communities (egolab-GRAFO)
> Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology
> Autonomous University of Barcelona

  Professor of Sociology and Statistics
  Director, UWCFAR Sociobehavioral and Prevention Research Core
  Box 354322
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA 98195-4322

  Office:	(206) 685-3402