Dear Socnetters,

(At least) since Granovetter his 1978 paper we know that thresholds distributions are important for social contagion and influence, to the extent that collective outcomes will be difficult (if not impossible?) to predict from individual properties.

I am somewhat familiar with the formal modelling of influence using threshold distributions. But I am interested to know if there are studies that have tried to determine what thresholds are in real life.

I suppose there is some work in (experimental) social psychology. In addition I wonder if there are studies that try to determine threshold values for influence / contagion, for instance through interviews, participant observation, or surveys. Obviously there are methodological problems here, and that is a first reason for me to search this literature. My ultimate aim is to study the rise and fall of ideas and fads in an elite management environment (basically, 'how often does  a topmanager has to learn about a certain idea before he/she takes it over' ).

Any suggestions are appreciated,

Thanks

Eelke