Many years ago, Linton Freeman studied who passes the ball to whom in the
NBA (Basketball). I don't know if it was ever published, but I am blind
copying to Lin.

  Barry Wellman

   Coming in May: NETWORKED: The New Social Operating System.
   Lee Rainie and Barry Wellman. MIT Press.
   http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=12791