*Infosocial: A Media, Technology & Society Conference - Oct 12-13, 2012

Infosocial: Where information and the social sciences collide.

A graduate student conference hosted by the Media, Technology and Society
(MTS) program at Northwestern University

As the information infrastructure of contemporary social life becomes
increasingly complex and visible, disparate modes of inquiry converge. We
are surrounded by a proliferation of data that provides a unique window
into a wide array of individual and collective behavior. The changes in the
visibility and availability of such data have challenged the technical and
conceptual boundaries of the social sciences. This, in turn, has triggered
a growth in interdisciplinary collaboration and in methodological and
theoretical innovation. Our conference aims to contribute to these
collaborative and innovative developments by bringing together graduate
student scholarship from across the academic spectrum.

We seek papers authored by graduate students that address relevant topics
within and across disciplines, including contributions from communication
and media studies, sociology, psychology, computer science, science and
technology studies, information science, political science, and
anthropology, among others.

Possible submission topics include (but are not limited to):

   - Linked data/semantic web and society
   - Privacy and information management
   - Measuring online behavior
   - Collective action and crowd sourcing
   - Internet skill and literacy
   - Open source and innovation
   - Complexity and technological change
   - History and information
   - Information at work
   - Educational technology
   - Networks and the information society
   - Methodological developments

Important Information:
Extended abstract (500 words) submission deadline: April 15, 2012
Acceptance notification date: May 15, 2012
Conference date: October 12-13, 2012
Conference location: Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois

To submit, please visit http://bit.ly/NUMTSconference and upload an
extended abstract of no more than 500 words.

Note: There will be no fee to attend and/or participate in the conference.
Meals will be provided and interested attendees may request to be housed
with Northwestern students. While we can make no guarantees, we will do our
best to accommodate requests.*

--
Brian C. Keegan
Ph.D. Student - Media, Technology, & Society

Science of Networks in Communities, Laboratory for Collaborative Technology