You may also want to take a look at:

Wigand, Rolf T. The Communication Industry in Economic Integration: The
Case of West Germany.  *Social Networks -- An International Journal of
Structural Analysis*, 1982, 4(1), 47-79.

This is not quite economic history, but the approach taken would lend
itself for such analysis assuming the data exist.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Jay McKinnon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Harold Innis' "The Fur Trade in Canada" (>1955) may suggest how network
> thinking can be used in economic history. It's primarily considered a work
> of economic geography -- and it certainly doesn't use Network Analysis as a
> method -- but it deals extensively with communication networks,
> transportation networks, and with the social/cultural relations between
> peoples.
>

> http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat_org_all&q=The+Fur+Trade+in+Canada+Innis
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Innis_and_the_fur_trade

*Rolf T. Wigand** **| Maulden-Entergy Chair & Distinguished Professor*

*Departments of Information Science & Management*

*UALR*

*548 EIT Building*

*2801 South University Avenue***

*Little Rock, AR 72204-1099, USA* **

*t** **+ 501.371.7647 | **m **+ 501.425.9650** | **f** **+ 501.683.7049 | **
e** **[log in to unmask]* <[log in to unmask]>

*w **ualr.edu/rtwigand* <http://www.ualr.edu/rtwigand>* *|* **
ebusiness.tc.msu.edu/vista* <http://ebusiness.tc.msu.edu/vista/index.html>*
*|* **virtualleadership.org* <http://www.virtualleadership.org/index.php>