I apologize if someone has already mentioned this, and have forgotten
to apologize any more for my declining memory, BUT I have told people
(perhaps incorrectly, but as an evocation of the initial atmosphere
and attitude of network researchers) that another aspect of the
Sunbelt name was instituted in the initial bylaws (which didn't
exist), which simply stated that the annual conference "must be held
in a sunny clime".
--
Ronald E. Rice
Arthur N. Rupe Professor in the Social Effects of Mass Communication