On 01/03/2012 9:58 AM, patrick doreian wrote:
> ***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** On 3/1/2012
> 12:32 PM, Carl Johan Nordlund wrote:
>> Sort of a silly question - but how come the upcoming Sunbelt
>> conference is called "Sunbelt"? Hamburg is a bit off from the
>> southern regions of the US, no?
>> And see you there!
>> Carl
>> Carl Nordlund, PhD
>> Post-doctoral research fellow
>> Center for Network Science, Department of Political Science
>> Central European University, Budapest
>> Tel:+36 1 327-3000 Ext. 2242
>> Email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> hi carl,
>            the reason lies in the mists of time. the first sunbelt
> gatherings were in the usa sunbelt. and the name had meaning in the
> winter season which implied some nice marketing. but as soon as the
> first vancouver sunbelt occured, the term lost its initial meaning.
> with the merging of the european and sunbelt gathering occurred in
> london in 1995, the term had even less descriptive merit. but the
> tradition of naming it 'sunbelt' remained. i like it - but maybe when
> all of the old farts who were at the beginning of sunbelt peg out,
> then the name might change. but in the current rotation, the two in
> the usa are in the sunbelt and to quote meatloaf "two out three ain't
> bad".
> with best wishes
> pat

Just in case someone gets the mistaken idea that Vancouver is not sunny
most of the time, I will point out that the London meeting actually
occurred before the Vancouver meeting. :-)

Cheers,

DBT

Ps: ok ... I will admit that technically speaking, Vancouver has more
rainy days, and more mm of rain each year even than London ....