Hi Fleur,

Within NodeXL, once you assign a group structure (using either group by cluster / group by attribute) and you can then compute the overall metrics, it will give you a "modularity" score. It can be found on the "Overall Metrics" tab, at least starting with a NodeXL version from the last few months.

Now, as many on this list will know, modularity is not perfect. It has "resolution limits", it is non-deterministic (since it is in reference to a randomly generated null model), and difficult to compare across different topologies. Fortunato (2010) covers a lot of this in his tome on community detection. For other work on modularity, especially within SNA, you'll want to look up the very similar "Quality" metric. Its worth noting that modularity can be calculated for any mutually exclusive node assignment (gender, role, occupation, etc...); not simply for node assignments based on community detection.

If the networks are roughly the same size and density, it will give a reasonable metric for how 'partitionable' the network is. In theory (although not necessarily in practice), modularity goes from -1 (complete heterophily; such as a purely heterosexual sex network where gender defines the groups) to 0 (similar to random) to +1 (complete homophily). For other measures, you may also want to consider Krachardt's E-I index.

Finally, these measures will be skewed by the presence of ego in an ego network. If the networks are undirected and you're not calculating Burt's constraint, I would recommend excluding it. See McCarty's paper in JOSS for further guidance.

Take care,
BERNiE

Dr Bernie Hogan
Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford
http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/hogan/