Thanks everyone for the help (either in this thread or by mail) on drawing
trees with defined edge lengths.

We ended up implementing the algorithm in Bachmaier, Brandes and Schlieper
(2005), and the result is here:
http://bit.ly/wtz38v
<http://www.fna.fi/fna/data/canemdemo/charts/public/dax2011-2012-radial.html>

Its a time series of spanning trees of correlation based distances, where
more correlated stocks (vertices) have shorter edges and less correlated
ones are further away. Vertex size scales by their Pagerank centrality. It
should work on all modern (i.e. not Internet Explorer) browsers.

The functionality is now also available on http://www.fna.fi (free web
service) for anyone needing such.

Best,
Kimmo