Hello BESTers,

As many of you know, or can imagine, large universities produce an
enormous amount of food waste from their dining halls.  It may  be a
daunting task to reduce or recycle this food waste, but it is far from
impossible.  The University of Tennessee (one of our top SEC rivals) is
now composting food waste from several of its campus dining locations.
In one day alone around 1,100 pounds of food waste is collected.  By
comparison, a study I did in 2008 found that Broward Dining Hall (one of
two dining halls here at UF) produces about 600 pounds a day.  The food
waste is then composted in windrows, which produces about 100,000 pounds
of compost annually.  So, the take-home message here is that if UT can
do it, UF can do it even better.

Have a great weekend and Happy Earth Day,
Ryan

http://utdailybeacon.com/student-life/2012/apr/19/ut-recycles-food-creates-compost/

UT recycles food, creates compost
The Daily Beacon